Sunday, December 14, 2014

East Pope Old Post Office/Cabin

Gus  Lawrence purchased a summer home on East Pope Lake on
the Old Gunflint Trail.  Friends, neighbors and visitors to the Gunflint Trail know the cabin that once was the Old Post Office along County Road 92. 

Wooding owned it since buying from George Stapleton, then postmaster, in 1953.
This put “GUS” in that select group of early pioneers who enjoyed the
wilderness life along the Gunflint Trail, as it changed into what we see now.
He was one of the earlier persons on the Old Gunflint Trail.

 Lawrence was born to the late Stephen Frank and Katherine (Luszczek) Wooding, March 2, 1918, in Chicago, Illinois. Lawrence graduated from Farragut High School in Chicago, Illinois and received a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from then Armour Institute of Technology, now Illinois Institute of Technology, in June1939.

 Lawrence served in the United States Army, 3198th Signal Service Battalion, Asiatic-Pacific Theater, from April 1943 to April 1946.
 Lawrence was most recently employed as an electrical engineer by Pathfinder Lamp Company, retiring in 1977.

 Lawrence was frequently an entrepreneur. He operated
Masco Powdered Hand Soap business after discharge from the Army. He also
Wheel Park, a portable roller-skating rink and raised chinchillas for

 Lawrence’s hobbies included a life long interest in photography; he was always taking photographs and sharing pictures. He also very much liked fishing and took great pride in teaching all his children and
many grandchildren how to fish. Boating and travel were some of the many activities he enjoyed.

 Lawrence passed away at 96 on December 11, 2014.


Post a Comment

<< Home